Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Yields: 4, with leftovers
Tasty vegetarian pasta treat, perfect on a cold night.
- 1 lb. whole wheat ziti
- 1 1/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green (or red) bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 24-ounce jar vegetarian tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 375
- Coat 9"x12" pan with cooking spray (bottom and sides)
Cook the Pasta:
1. Cook the ziti according to directions; make sure it's not overdone, you want it a bit al dente. 2. Drain well and return to cooking pot.
Make the Sauce:
While pasta is cooking, make the sauce.
1. Sautee garlic, onion, peppers and carrots in skillet with 1-2 tsp olive oil until tender (onions should be translucent) - about 10 minutes.
2. Add oregano and salt, stir. Add jar of tomato sauce and allow to simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring as needed.
1. Spread about 1/3 of the sauce on the bottom of the casserole dish
2. Layer 1/2 of the pasta, followed by the ricotta cheese and 1/2 of the mozzerella and parmesan cheeses.
3. Spread 1/3 of the sauce and sprinkle with 1/2 of the mozzarella
4. Add a layer of the remaining pasta and cover with sauce
5. Finally, top with breadcrumbs and remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese
Bake covered for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake for an additional 15-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling around the edges. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.