Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
I'm always experimenting in the kitchen, and I actually "discovered" this recipe one evening when I didn't feel like going to the store after work. I decided to use what I had in the fridge... what a pleasant surprise!
Note: Parmesan is never vegetarian, it always includes calf's rennet which is a meat product. If you're a strict vegetarian or if you're cooking for a strict vegetarian you need to substitute a different type of cheese of look for a different recipe. See Cheeses that aren't vegetarian for more.
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 5 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon oregano, salt, and black pepper.
2. Slice tofu into 1/4 inch thick slices, and place in bowl of cold water. One at a time, press tofu slices into crumb mixture. Be sure to evenly coat all sides.
3. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices until crisp on one side. Drizzle with olive oil, turn, and brown on the other side.
4. Combine tomato sauce, basil, garlic, and remaining oregano. Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu. Top with shredded mozzarella and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan.
5. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
6. Allow parmigiana to cool for 15 minutes before serving.