This type of stew or sauté can be adapted according to what you have on hand, the quantities can be varied too. Aubergines (egg plants in American English) are common in Italian cooking so I added Italian spices to give an Italian flavour.
I made it as a main dish but it will probably also work as a side dish if you make less or share with more than one person.
- 1 third of a large aubergine chopped in large pieces
- 1 green bell pepper chopped in large pieces (red bell pepper would probably also work)
- A polythene bag of frozen chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (I used extra virgin olive oil because I wanted an Italian flavour)
- Vegetarian stock powder in place of salt
- Italian spices, paprika with mixed spices
Stir from time to time while different ingredients are being added and cooked.
- Sauté the aubergine the oil.
- Add the bell pepper continue to sauté.
- Add chickpeas (Since the chickpeas were frozen I turned the heat up before putting them in to thaw them quickly without everything getting cold.)
- Add stock powder.
- Wait till everything is fully cooked add more water if needed, then serve.
I liked it better than most vegan recipes. I think it tasted a bit Italian but I don't know what real Italians would think.