Yields: 6 servings
This dish with vegetarian sausage is untested.
- Vegetarian sausages
- 4 tsp. plus 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small eggplant, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 yellow onion
- chopped 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed plum tomatoes with juices
- 5 oz. ziti, cooked until al dente
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ⅓ cup rinsed chopped kalamata olives
- 2½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Position a rack in the upper third of an oven and preheat to 400°F.
- In a 10-inch nonstick fry pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 tsp. of the olive oil.
- Add the sausage perhaps break it up, and cook, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Set the pan over medium-high heat and warm 2 tsp. of the olive oil.
- Add the eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, under tender and browned, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Set the pan over medium heat and warm the remaining 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the wine, increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up the browned bits.
- Cook until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage, pasta, basil, olives, 2 cups of the mozzarella and the tomato sauce to the bowl with the eggplant and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta mixture to the fry pan and sprinkle the remaining ½ cup mozzarella and the parmigiano-reggiano on top.
- Cover the pan, transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and broil at 500°F for 5 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serves 6.
- Vegetarian Baked Ziti This one has vegetarian sausage and presumably has been tested.