Prep Time: 30 minutes, Fermentation ( 4 Hours)
Cook time: 2 minutes
Serves: 4 Adults
Adai is a healthy Indian breakfast
- 100 g of split red gram dal (toor dal)
- 150 g of split green gram dal (moong dal)
- 100 g of bengal gram dal (channa dal)
- 50 g of urad dal (black gram dal)
- 400 g of brown rice (brown rice is a much better source of unrefined carbs than polished rice)
- Soak rice for 4 hours and the lentils for 2 hours.
- Grind the mixture into a thick paste.
- This batter needs to be fermented for 4-6 hours and refrigerated overnight.
- Herbs and spices like coriander, ginger, pepper / red chilli and cumin seeds can be added during grinding for additional taste.
- Add salt according to taste and pour the batter into a thin pancake over a hot griddle.
- Cook till the top side appears spongy.
- Turn the pancake and cook till golden brown (total griddling time will be for about 2 minutes).
- Use olive oil to moisten the griddle plate and enjoy the delicious healthy breakfast.
You can choose to flavor the batter with onion/ ginger/ fresh herbs as per taste. Most popular Indian breakfast items are a combination of cereals & pulses. This combination provides carbohydrates & protein; both of which are important at the start of the day. To top this, these breakfast items are fermented too. Fermentation coverts carbohydrates & sugar into beneficial acids, thereby increasing the nutritive value of these breakfast items